Monday, August 1, 2011

Paulinho Nogueira │ Master Guitarist From Brazil

Paulinho Nogueira, who was born on October 8, 1929 in Campinas, (which is located in the state of São Paulo, Brazil), was one of the greatest guitarist of the twentieth-century.  I had the good fortune to meet one of his students in 1980 when I performed at a major hotel in Waikiki.  It just so happened that I was playing "Bachianinha" which was a guitar solo composed by Paulinho, and a man walked up to me when I had finished playing the song.  The first words out of his mouth were, "My guitar teacher wrote that song."  Needless to say, we had a delightful conversion, and he told me that he would tell Paulinho about me when he returned to Brazil.  I was very surprised about a month later when I received a package in the mail from Brazil.  It contained five LPs autographed by Paulinho himself!  On August 2, 2003, Paulinho died of a heart attack at his home in São Paulo, at the age of 73.  In this edition of Heart Of The Guitar, I am featuring Paulinho playing "Samba Em Preludio" which was composed by Baden Powell and Vinícius de Moraes, and his beautiful  "Bachianinha".  Safe journeys to all the fans of Heart Of The Guitar, wherever you may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment